Craving green...



It was a very long and cold winter.  
Spring is just beginning to show her pretty face.  We had snow on the ground for a good five months in a row. So, I think you'll understand when I tell you that I am craving green... anything green!  We are currently in the period affectionately known as "mud season."  This is the period where the snow has melted, but the trees have yet to leaf out and the ground is still soft and mushy and there is mud everywhere.  While out driving this past weekend I saw many roads with a sign nailed at their entrance: 
"MUD.  Travel at your own risk!" 
Thankfully, we eliminated the mud around the house by putting in the gravel drive several years ago, but walking in the meadows is like walking on a sponge.  Let's just say this is not New England's prettiest time of year ;)

During this period, which lasts about a month, green becomes a color I literally crave!  I'm reading through garden notes from the last several years and planning the season's first projects all while planting containers in my mind!  The only flowers at the garden stores right now are pansies, which I know sounds odd to you southern peeps who plant them in the fall. So until the leaves have popped on the trees and new growth has shot up from the ground I surround myself with varying shades of green in the kitchen.




 You might remember last year at this same time I added a green chevron pattern skirt under the sink for spring.  Once green can be seen out the window I want my linen skirt back in place, but for now the skirt brightens the landscape and reminds me that spring is right around the corner, and just makes me happy! 








Yesterday was in the 70's, but today is chilly and raining, so we had a fire for lunch.  And tonight we're expecting a freeze- welcome to spring in New England!




Vintage and antique Chinese ginger jars in varying shades of green line the kitchen mantel. (Lets just say they are but a few of a larger collection!)








Watermelon and green apples on an antique French white ironstone fish platter (you might remember, this is the platter I hand-carried all over France;)








This is the very first sign of spring in the yard- the white lilacs at the corner of the reading room in
I almost caused myself  a whiplash injury yesterday when I first saw the tiny green leaves out the corner of my eye!  They've doubled in size in just one day.
Today it seemed like the grass was literally greening up by the minute with all the rain we are having.  I'm so ready to see leaves on the trees again.  I adore living with four distinct seasons, and I know it will be gorgeous when it gets here, but this year it has felt like spring might never arrive!  
This photo is my visual of " hope!"


Wishing you a happy spring (or fall for my Aussie friends;)

Share this article :

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website
Copyright © 2011. Lorikoop | Home Design - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating WebsitePublished by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger